Following years of investment to confirm crop-specific validity and to obtain additional regulatory approvals, US based AgroFresh Solutions, Inc. has announced that its SmartFresh™ ripening inhibiting technology is now available for a wider range of crops. Growers of fruits and vegetables including avocados, broccoli, melons, tomatoes, mangoes and stone fruit can make use of SmartFresh to prolong the life of their freshly harvested produce. SmartFresh is already very well established within the supply chain of apples, pears and more recently bananas to keep them fresh.
How does SmartFresh work?
From the moment fruits are harvested they begin to lose quality and eventually decay. Ethylene is naturally produced inside each fruit, causing them to ripen, the speed of this process is aided by sunlight. Some fruits are particularly high in natural ethylene making them particularly difficult to transport over long distances, these include apricots, avocados, apples, bananas, figs, kiwis, mangoes, melons, pears and plums.
SmartFresh is provided to fruit growers in the form of tablets which are added to a small activation kit to produce Methylcyclopropene (1-MCP). Once combined this activation unit is placed within an air tight chamber together with recently harvested fruit for 24 hours. This might be a large controlled atmosphere storage room or for smaller quantities simply a PVC frame with plastic pallet covers sealed to the floor with tape. SmartFresh blocks the ability of treated fruit to absorb further ethylene, thus preventing them from maturing too far before they can be transported and sold to consumers. A single SmartFresh treated apple can look as good after 10 months as it did the day it was picked from the tree. According to the EPA there are no reported toxicity implications for animal or human health.
“SmartFresh is an industry-trusted solution that helps to preserve the texture, firmness, taste and appearance of produce during storage, transportation and retail display,” said AgroFresh Director, Business Diversification, Narciso Vivot. “For years, our global customers have relied on SmartFresh for support in managing an ever-increasing number of crops. Now, customers are also reporting excellent ready-to-eat produce freshness results, especially with avocados and melons, and are excited about leveraging new business opportunities.”
SmartFresh benefits include:
- Ready-to-Eat Freshness. Delays the ripening process to protect just-picked freshness and quality for consumers.
- Ripening Management. Supports post-harvest ripening and conditioning protocols in various supply chain stages.
- Fruit Quality. Reduces weight loss and disorders to achieve a bigger packout. Helps protect fruit skin, which is fruit’s natural protective barrier.
- Storage. Extends the storage window to improve inventory flexibility.
- New Business Opportunities. Supports business opportunities in distant geographic markets.
- Consumer Appeal. Optimizes yellow banana color.
- Sustainability & Food Waste Reduction. Enables fresher fruit through the supply chain, which decreases food waste.
- Effective on Wide Range of Crops. Effective with many crops, for example: pome fruit, avocado, banana, melon, tomato, broccoli, mango, peach, nectarine, plum, persimmon, kiwifruit, lime and watermelon.
AgroFresh (NASDAQ: AGFS) is a leading global innovator and provider of science-based solutions, data-driven technologies and experience-backed services to enhance the quality and extend the shelf life of fresh produce. For more than 20 years, AgroFresh has been revolutionizing the apple industry and has launched new innovative solutions in a variety of fresh produce categories from bananas to cherries and citrus to pears. AgroFresh supports growers, packers and retailers by providing near- and post-harvest solutions across the industry to enhance crop values while conserving our planet’s resources and reducing global food waste. Visit agrofresh.com to learn more.